Wednesday, September 29, 2010

DAY 3: Reading the fine print

Today was a fun day. I got caught up on some stuff that I had been needing to do for awhile. Grocery shopping was pretty high on the TO-DO list. I was pushing my cart along the isle when I ran into an older gal reaching for an item high on the shelf. She retrieve the item(Vanilla Extract) and was reading two boxes like they were the holy bible. I'd seen this before. She was having trouble reading it. I approached her just as she was looking up and said "can I help you". She said "ah no thats alright you don't work her, I am just  trying to figure out what size this is." I insisted on helping. Not knowing much about how coupons work she taught me a lesson in the process. Contrary to popular(or at least my) belief. A coupon is only good for a very specific item. Not just mayo or peanut butter but a specific kind of mayo and even a specific size. So we were able to find the exact Vanilla Extract she was looking for her to make her self-procalimed "Worlds best cookie" recipe. I am not supposed to mention that its not hear recipe its a friends of hers but she made a few modifications that I am also not at liberty to discuss. A great interaction with a great lady who eyesight is not all that it used to be.



Some interesting eye/vision facts:
Your eyes are the most complex organs you possess except for your brain.
Your eyes are composed of more than 2 million working parts
The average person blinks 12 times per minute - about 10,000 blinks in an average day
The phrase, "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" is from Ancient Rome. The only rule during wrestling matches was, "No eye gouging." Everything else was allowed, but the only way to be disqualified was to poke someone's eye out. eyes can process 36,000 bits of information every hour.

TODAYS DEED: Helped a vision impaired person find what they were looking for. 


SHOUT OUT: I wanted to take an opportunity to shout out to a friend of mine who is also getting involved. Jorge Pena is going to participate in a RED. WHITE and BLUE Marathon this weekend. The Marathon raises money for service members who have been wounded in our wars. The organization provides different means of support to help the transitioning service member back to society. Jorge is a bother in arms of mine and has done his time in the sand box. For more information follow this link http://www.facebook.com/l/395314HFxABv8J-DlDcWEvTu4uw;www.TeamRWB.com  or email me. Great Job Jorge keep up the good work and I will be thinking about you Sunday AM when your around mile 26!

No comments: