Tuesday, September 28, 2010

DAY 2: Squashing Litter Bugs

FACT: Cleaning up litter in the U.S. costs hundreds of dollars per ton, about ten times more than the cost of trash disposal, for a cost totaling about $11 billion per year


Here are some interesting stats about decomposition times. 

Paper and paperboard: 6 months
Cigarette butts: 2–5 years
Plastic (PET) Soda Bottles: 5–10 years
Plastic shopping bags: 10–30 years
Gum: 20–25 years
Polystyrene chip wrapping: 90 years
Tin Can: 80–100 years
Aluminum Can: 200–400 years
Six pack bottle wrapping: 450 years
Golf ball: 100–1000 years

I guess we should use more paper golfballs. I know I should at the rate I lose them. 

TODAYS DEED: During my ride in the park this morning I spent about 10 min picking up liter. I found more cigarette butts than anything. Who does that? Pretty sure we spend tax money on ash trays for your people. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Joe, I think what you're doing is absolutely amazing! It's comforting knowing that people want and are continuing to improve themselves, others and the world we live in. Thank you for the inspiration and I will make sure to continue to do my part.

Great work on your blog. :)

Joe American said...

Terece,
Thanks for the note! Hows the little one? As always I send my best.

Unknown said...

I agree with Terece, I think it is amazing what you are doing. If we all do a little at a time, this world would be a better place!! :) Keep it up Joey!!

Carm

Unknown said...

I think what you're doing is inspirational. We should all strive to emulate your behavior. Well done Joe, well done. Hope you are well.